Thursday, February 10, 2011

Art Center Project: Sumi Painting and Papermaking


One of my first Sumi Paintings on Paper I made while at Art Center.

A Final Sumi Paintings on Paper I made while at Art Center.
Red block signature says Toh-Mass[ Thomas]

One of the Miniature Shoji Screens up close.


The Set of three Shoji's I made for my Final grade.

Art Center Project
Sumi Painting and Papermaking

While attending Art Center College of design in Pasadena in the Transportation department in the early 90's we were sometimes required to take a full academic term with no studio classes to fill in our credits to make sure we could get the Bachelor of Science degree which is unique to ID as the fine art majors at Art Center receive a BFA.

What was interesting is that they offered both Japanese Paper making and Japanese Sumi painting as an Academic class and it was not considered a design studio class but if fell under Art History. I have always had a fondness for Japanese culture and design so I took both classes back to back.

What you see above is both my handmade paper we made, as well as examples of my Sumi painting. My final project were the little desktop Shoji screens and I did receive a A in both classes. One of most fun and interesting classes in my 5 years at A.C.C.D.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment