Thursday, May 10, 2012

Project Review Out Takes PART IV Universal City Walk 1992


 I had seen a custom all Mahogany PC back then and with the fine wood inlays I developed this look for Out-Takes for City Walk.


 In this design I added in polished metal bands thru the desk sides and the main components would be powder coated.


 Every design I tried something different. Above this you see the keyboard tray as convex, here concave. I tried as many options as possible and combined them for the finals.


 The Custom Cabinet with another band of brass this time with some softer edges in this design for City Walk Mall.

Project Review

Out Takes PART IVUniversal City Walk 1992

Client: Out Takes Via Eric Allard at All Effects.
Art Director: Eric Allard.
Project Date Summer 1992

Out-Takes was a blue screen photography studio at Universal's City Walk Outdoor Mall in California, and in my fourth posting today, I have put up a design direction path that we eventually abandoned for the 'girder look". They closed up in the late 90's , and if interested, you can read about that here.

In the early 90's when I did this work, and they wanted to add in some of the look and feel of a luxury car, so I added in wood and metal inlay trim as was the fashion in the Lexus models just coming out back then, and they loved it as a direction to refine.

Also I was on my first Mac, a IISi, and they wanted the case to resemble a bit of the look of the early Mac design language with some rounding.

Look for PART V , as I found a big folder of xeroxes of the rest of this project recently[wish I had the originals sitting in a drawer somewhere...].

PART I can be seen here.

PART II is here.

Part III is here.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment