Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Project Review The Phantom 2040 PART CV [105th] Layout Design Underlay Sketches

A grid layout of an exterior area of an outdoor mall/arcade from the Phantom 2040 DVD Movie, and early episodes.


I very quick blocking I did up in Canada for the layout team to break down the design into its most simple forms for the Living Room where Kit Walker lives with his Aunt Heloise.


I simple blocked proportion of "tall and thin" in this little closet in the Phantoms Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Lair.



Here is my original rough pencil sketch on tracing that was used both in the show, and also as a part of the promotional package here.


Project Review
The Phantom 2040
PART CV [105th]
Layout Design Underlay Sketches

Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.


This is my 105th post of my work from the TV animated series, The Phantom 2040 from in the early ninety's, and I have scanned and posted up a few more underlay drawing from the many layout designs I provided the team.

Some layouts were full bore, completed to the end with all detials you would expect, but a large portion were done this way to get more blocking and camera angles into more shots. I would do one tight design and 30 roughs like these to help the layout, storyboard, and background painting teams to get the direction right on the first pass. This is key in a lower budgeted show, its all about the tricks to get a better product for the money, as far as Art Direction is concerned.

I teach, that you draw lightly on the first pass, and build up the design over and over until you have what you want, then do a clean overlay. These are those first pass sketches here.

If you are a FAN of The Phantom 2040, and on FACEBOOK, there is a group for that....  here.

There is a TAG on the list to the RIGHT for other Phantom 2o4o entry's, but you can click this as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment