Thursday, January 3, 2013

3D Model Sales: Part VII-Tall Bookcase filled with Books and Magazines

A fully mesh-smoothed shot of the bookcase filled up with books and magazines that I sell online as a digital prop.

 Here are the various books isolated in this render. each book is built sub-d, so they can be smoothed for any close-up shot.

 I made the books in a way so that I have about 30 unique sizes that I then shuffled around and adjust to look as random as I can.

 A close up view on the spine of the books that curve inand out and are the various widths and thicknesses.


 Here is a wire shot of the file with the turbo smoothing[subdivision surface] turned on at one level in the case and the books.


 The above shot as the base model with smoo6thing off. This is how the exported files look as an OBJ and FBX for the Maya and C4D users out there as well.


 This birds-eye view shows the shuffling details a bit closer. In 3D I hand place and move each virtual book to create the sculpture for use in video games, architectural pre-viz, or any CG use.

 The low rez shot from above[ subdivision removed]


  Here the multi view shot shows the model as a whole in various views to help sell the asset.


3D Model Sales
Part VII
Tall Bookcase filled with Books and Magazines

I sell some of my 3D models online at Turbosquid, the leading stock model house online,  and every few weeks, I cover one of those designs, and for todays PART VII[7], I am showcasing a model I have put up for sale, a tall bookcase that is filled with a variety of books, and magazines. 

A prop like this is typically used in Architectural renders, and other CG applications where a virtual bookcase is needed. 

I build all my online assets for sale as subdivision models, so the user can get real close to the asset by simply subdividing the geometry[ turbo-smooth etc.] as needed, but keep it off to animate and fill up a very complicates scene real fast with an asset that CAN be up-rezzed with a simple modifier.

I built this as a simple design so it would have a wide range of use. the bookcase is easily adjusted to add crown detail and feet to change it up. I used the file in a virtual set where I grabbed all the big books only and used those, then I had one I cut in half and filled with just the thin magazines as well, and this allowed me to use the asset twice in a way where it was more difficult to see the clone of the file.
I export all 3D assets to FBX and OBJ so my friends in Cinema 4D , Maya, and Soft-XSI can use the assets as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment